The first thing that you need to do is go shopping. You will want to shop at Trader Joe's, Lassen's or Von's. I recommend these stores due to the availability of good quality organic food. Please do not say that you can not afford organic food and yet you drive an expensive car. Food quality is not where you cut back. That is a big pet peeve of mine. Ok, back to shopping, you will need bananas, organic peanut butter, almond butter, plain Greek yogurt Low Fat or Fat Free, frozen strawberries, frozen mixed berries and organic spinach. I use Trader Joe's and Lassen's for all of my protein shake needs, except for the actual protein powder. We carry the Jay Robb and Sun Warrior protein powders, Mila and Flaxseed Meal at my gym for the cheapest price in town. Never use cheap protein powders. Never use soy! Scroll down to read the post on soy. Jay Robb protein is the best whey I have ever used, and Sun Warrior is the best non-dairy so please try to use them in these recipes. If you go with cheap whey protein you will more than likely get bloated, gassy and just not digest them well. If you are not digesting a food properly, you are not receiving the nutrients that they could be providing. The Jay Robb protein and Sun Warrior powders we carry are vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. They are sweetened with stevia, a healthy alternative to sugar.
When you make your shake, use cold ingredients. That makes it taste 100 times better. Always put your liquid in first, protein and Mila or Flaxseed second, fruit third and yogurt or peanut butter with ice last. When you blend break your fruit and ice down, then blend for about 20 to 30 seconds. If you are under 180 use one scoop of protein or 20 grams, above 180 use 2 scoops or 40 grams. If you use peanut butter or almond butter, try and buy organic. These recipes will cover all of your nutrient needs to act as a meal replacement. The better the quality, the better you will feel.
Alright, enough of the art of protein making, here are my recipes. Enjoy.
- 6 to 8 oz. Orange Juice and 2 ounces of water
- 1 scoop Vanilla Jay Robb Protein or Vanilla Sun Warrior if below 180 2 scoops if above 180
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Low fat if using as a meal replacement or fat free for pre or post shake)
- 1/2 Banana
- 4 Ice Cubes
- One scoop of Mila or 2 Tablespoons of Flax seed Meal (not oil)
- 10 to 12 oz. Cold Clean Water
- 1 to 2 scoop Chocolate Jay Robb Protein or Chocolate Sun Warrior
- 1/4 cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Peanut Butter
- 1 scoop Mila or 2 tablespoons of Flax seed Meal (not oil)
- 1/2 banana if you are 180 or below full banana if you are above
- 4 Ice cubes
"Peanut Butter and Jelly"
- 4 oz. Organic Apple Juice
- 6 oz. Cold Clean Water
- 1 scoop Vanilla or Strawberry Jay Robb Protein
- 1/2 banana or whole depending on weight
- 1 tablespoon of Organic Peanut Butter
- 1 scoop Mila
- 4 ice cubes
"Berry and Spinach Fat Loss Shake"
- 14 to 16 ounces of cold water
- 1.5 to 2 scoops of Sun Warrior Protein or Jay Robb
- 1 cup Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- 3/4 cups Mixed frozen Berries
- 1 scoop of Mila or 2 tablespoons of Flax seed Meal
"Almond-Banana Fat Loss Shake"
- 10 ounces of chocolate Almond Milk ( Trader Joe's)
- 1.5 or 2 scoops of Chocolate Sun Warrior or Chocolate Jay Robb
- half of banana
- 1 scoop Mila or 2 Tablespoons of Flax seed Meal
- 4 ice cubes